Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Sarik semi-scale plastic boat kit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Reed27/08/2022 20:56:45
68 forum posts
16 photos

Hi All,

As a beginner to the hobby, I decided to have a go at the Sarik Whaleback ASRL kit (TW29).

The hull is ready formed and it’s relatively cheap so if I mess it up, not much time or money lost. However, if there’s anyone out there who’s built one of the Sarik plastic kits and could give me some advice before I start cutting, it would be greatly appreciated.

To cut out the deck and hull, the instructions say “trim to line indicated”. On the hull, this line is quite clear but is about 3mm thick – should I cut to top, middle or bottom of the line? Obviously the safe way is to cut to top then dry fit to the deck and sand down as far as necessary.

That brings me to my second question – how to cut out the deck? The cut line is much finer but varies from about 4mm to 6mm from the deck surface (closer at bow and stern).

I seem to have 2 variables and no fixed point to work from, so I'm hoping someone has advice from a previous build. I'm fairly sure I can work through this but why reinvent the wheel and spend the next week sanding it down?

Many thanks.

David Marks 127/08/2022 22:21:05
327 forum posts
44 photos

Having checked the Sarik website, a review of that model kit was featured in a magazine called Marine Modelling International in October 2015. If you go to the website of Magazine Exchange UK you will find a copy of the magazine for sale for £2:40 + P&P. The review will have been undertaken by a boat modeller and hopefully will give you some help with your build.

Regards - David Marks

Richard Simpson27/08/2022 22:46:39
1367 forum posts
350 photos

Just a general thought, as I am not familiar with the specific model, I would cut the hull first, as you say to the top of the line then use the hull to mark out the deck for the best accurate fit rather than go by the guide line on the deck.

Dave Reed28/08/2022 00:33:09
68 forum posts
16 photos

Hi David, Thanks for your suggestion but it was a different model reviewed (narrower beam, different deck and superstructure). I presume Sarik use it as a general review for the range of similarly constructed kits. My kit would have used different tooling so I'll hang on for any more info before I look into buying the review.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave Reed28/08/2022 00:38:00
68 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Richard, barring any specific info from some who has constructed the model, that's my intention.

Cut the hull leaving maximum amount of material for trimming, then trim deck oversize so I can cut/fit/cut/fit... etc until correct.

Thanks

ashley needham28/08/2022 08:05:02
8098 forum posts
194 photos

Correctamundo.

My experience of cutting vacforms is that it’s very easy for the knife to slip, as you will be using pressure and on certain runs the knife will slice through easily.... causing personal injury, or even worse, messing up the moulding!

Ashley

Chris E28/08/2022 10:53:18
513 forum posts

The kit was built in a Model Boats article September 2008 which will be in the archive if they ever get around to reinstating the issues that have not yet been reinstated after the magazine ownership change.

David Marks 128/08/2022 13:47:30
327 forum posts
44 photos

There is currently a copy of MB for September 2008 for sale on eBay for £5.

Dave Reed28/08/2022 14:00:33
68 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Guys, I was making it difficult by overthinking it. Pencilled in the "safe" line on the hull, cut with scissors, then razor plane - job almost done

Thanks for your help

Ray Wood 228/08/2022 17:22:44
3205 forum posts
1142 photos

tw29 a.jpgHi Sinking,

By the way do you have a name ? just thought I'd ask !tw29 b.jpg

Mr Google is your best friend if you searching about for model stuff, This Vac formed hull is a standard hull available with a variety of different tops ie, Pilot boat & Police launch etc etc.

This is the magazine article from the web excuse the photos of my tablet

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 28/08/2022 17:23:44

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor